Cookie truffles really couldn’t be much easier to make. I’m not the best baker, and even I have mastered these little cheesecake-tasting bites. When I saw the special edition caramel apple Oreos I thought why not turn them into cute little fall treats? So, I did. I have to admit, the first try didn’t come out so well. I coated the cookie balls in white chocolate that I colored green (to make them look like mini apples). When the hot caramel hit the barely dried chocolate it all melted into a mess. I started over and tried the recipe, minus the chocolate. It worked much better. I’m not saying that you can’t get it all to work out – just wait for the chocolate to cool completely.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
· Caramel apple Oreos
· Caramel candies
· Lollipop sticks (we reused the sticks from already-eaten lollipops)
· 4 oz. cream cheese
· Optional: White chocolate and red or green food coloring
Here’s What to Do:
1. Crush the Oreos in a food processor until they are the consistency of chunky sand.
2. Mix 4 oz. of softened cream cheese with the cookie crumbles.
3. Roll the mix into balls (approximately the same size as golf balls – or slightly smaller).
4. Put the rolled mix into the freezer for one hour.
5. Optional: Melt the chocolate in the microwave. In a microwave-safe bowl, pop the chocolate in for 30 to 60 seconds (different microwaves vary in strength). Be very careful the chocolate, and the bowl, will be hot. Use a pot holder and don’t touch the chocolate with your hands. Mix in a few drops of either red or green food coloring. Using a spoon, dip the balls into the colorful chocolate and coat them completely. Refrigerate the candy-covered cookies until they are completely cool.
6. Unwrap the caramel and put it into a microwave-safe bowl. Add one tablespoon of water. Microwave the caramel for about 35 seconds (or until it is melted). Like the chocolate, it will be very hot.
7. Poke a lollipop stick through each cookie ball.
8. Dip the cookie into the melted caramel.
9. Let the caramel apple cookie truffles cool.
You can also make ‘apples’ by adding a cut up piece of green candy (we used Dots) on top as a stem.
Are you looking for more cookie ball truffle recipes? Follow my Pinterest board here for ideas!Follow Mini Monets and Mommies's board Oreo Truffle Balls on Pinterest.