(This post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclosure statement for more information).
Coloring pumpkin seeds is a super-simple kids’ art activity that also doubles as a sensory exploration (just pop them into a rainbow sensory bin!). If you’ve never turned regular seeds into colorful creations, take a look at our how-to color pumpkin seeds post for an easy step-by-step how-to.
Moving on to the mosaic… Yes, mosaics are typically made with some kind of cut or broken glass or ceramic material. This one is much more kid-friendly. Your child can put those seeds to use and craft a mosaic (also using Model Magic).
Here’s What You’ll Need:
· Colored pumpkin seeds (use food coloring)
· Crayola Model Magic – Use white and keep it as is or paint it any other hue.
Here’s What to Do:
1. Roll the Model Magic into a ball, tube or any other 3-D shape.
2. Squish the modeling compound so that it is almost flat. Your child can use her palms to press down on the clay or push it flat with her fingertips. Ask her how many other ways she can think of to press, push and squeeze the clay so that it’s flat.
3. Push the pumpkin seeds into the Model Magic. Create a pattern, picture, design or let your little artist spread the seeds out randomly.
Try a few different shapes of clay and seed creations. You can choose a theme, color or even play a game with this art activity. For example, spread out all of the seeds (in the different colors). Ask your child to make a monotone mosaic. She must pick out seeds that are only one color. Add another learning level to this one by painting the Model Magic. Have your child paint each flattened pieces a different color (make sure that the colors all correspond to the pumpkin seeds). Match the seeds to the painted clay.
Are you looking for more kids’ crafts? Follow my Pinterest board for ideas!Follow Mini Monets and Mommies's board Creative Kids Crafts on Pinterest.