S’mores go way beyond the summer-time campfire. They’re ooey, they’re gooey and they’re perfect for a spooky Halloween kids’ treat! I have a sort-of obsession with s’mores. Not the run-of-the-mill marshmallow, chocolate, graham cracker ones (although, I wouldn’t say no to one of those), but the fancied-up kind. I’ve made these sweet treats in a princess style, with cherries and coconut, a Frozen Olaf melting version and as modern art masterpieces.
We’re on the verge of fall and I’m thinking of ways to dress up the traditional chocolate sweet in its best Halloween costume. With that in mind, I put together a slimy monster s’more creation! Not only do they look creepy (in a totally cute way), but they have that “ewwwwww!!!!” factor with melty marshmallows. Kids will get a kick out of making the messy dessert and you can serve them as a pre trick-or-treating snack or at a holiday-themed party.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
· Graham crackers
· Blue, red and yellow food coloring
· Candy eyes: Young children may choke on these. If you think that these pose a choking hazard to your child, don’t use them.
· Green and orange colored sugar: You can buy this in the baking section of most grocery stores or you can dye course sugar with food coloring.
· Microwave safe bowl
· A spoon
Here’s What to Do:
1. Turn the marshmallows green and orange. Drip a few drops of food coloring into a bowl. Add a teaspoon of water. Your child can mix her own green and orange colors using the primaries (blue, red and yellow). Yellow and blue make green and yellow and red make orange.
2. Have your cover the marshmallows with either green or orange food coloring.
3. Stack the graham cracker, chocolate and a green marshmallow. Microwave the stack for about 10 seconds. Different microwaves vary, so you may have to adjust the time. Never allow your child to get near or touch the hot marshmallow.
4. Sprinkle orange colored sugar over the melted marshmallow.
5. Place another graham cracker on top and press down, making the marshmallow squeeze out.
6. Decorate the marshmallow that spills out with candy eyes.
7. Heat an orange marshmallow in a microwave safe bowl for 10 seconds. Again, make adjustments for your microwave’s strength.
8. Stir the melted marshmallow with a spoon.
9. Drip the slimy sweet goo onto the top graham cracker.
10. Add green sugar on top to complete the s’more.
Are you looking for more s’mores? Follow my Pinterest board for ideas!Follow Mini Monets and Mommies's board Sweet S'mores on Pinterest.