Along with the tree, presents and ornament craftiness, came the donut-making. Ok, so that didn’t go so well. If you have the baking skills, certainly go for it. We ended up hitting the local bakery on Christmas Eve day for our holiday sweets. This year I’m trying to come up with new ways to serve them up. I’ve been on a s’mores kick lately. Awhile back I made cupcake s’mores (I also made s’mores cupcakes – which are actually entirely different). I decided that this year we are going to make holiday donut s’mores! And since it’s a special day, why not step it up a notch? Read on for this super-simple treat:
Here’s What You’ll Need:
· A chocolate donut – This goes in place of the chocolate bar. We chose one with chocolate frosting. Believe me when I say, the smell of the warm chocolate frosting was just about the best thing ever!
· Graham crackers
· Ice cream – Yes, ice cream (I told you that we are taking it up a notch).
· Red and green crystal sugar or sprinkles
Here’s What to Do:
1. Slice the donut in half in the same way that you would slice a bun. Put the bottom aside (you can eat it or use it later).
2. Place the donut’s top on a graham cracker.
3. Stack a marshmallow on top.
4. Place the stack on a microwave-safe plate and pop it into the microwave for about 15 seconds. Microwaves vary in strength. You may need to add more (or have less) time. When the marshmallow begins to expand, take it out.
5. Sandwich the marshmallow with another graham cracker on top.
6. Scoop a spoonful of ice cream (we used vanilla, but you can choose your favorite flavor) on top.
7. Sprinkle red and green crystalized sugar on top (or use sprinkles).
This s’mores recipe isn’t just for Christmas. Make a birthday donut s’more, try it for Easter, create a spooky version for Halloween or make a red and pink treat for Valentine’s Day!
Are you looking for s’more ideas? Follow my Pinterest board for lots of tasty treats!