My baking skills are – let’s just say, subpar. I’ve tried to be the baking queen suburban mom and make cookies and cakes. They always fall short. My son complains. And, no one eats them in the end (sometimes, my son will scoop off the frosting from a cupcake that hasn’t gone terribly wrong). So, s’mores are something that I can make (with my son).
Initially, I was planning on using regular marshmallows colored with red food coloring or soaked in cherry juice (it makes them pink). But, then I swapped that idea out when I saw the Valentine’s Day Peeps. They are just as marshmallowy as the Easter ones, but come in cute little heart shapes. This holiday treat is easy enough for little kids to help make, but still fun for tweens (and even teens- in my child’s case)!
Here’s What You’ll Need:
· Valentine’s Day Peeps – I used the berry-flavored heart shapes
· Graham crackers
· Conversation heart candy
· Optional: Red or pink sprinkles or crystal sugar
Here’s What to Do:
1. Stack the chocolate and one marshmallow heart on top of a graham cracker.
2. Pop the stack into the microwave for 15 seconds. Microwaves vary depending on the strength. You may need more or less time. Keep an eye on the s’more, and take it out as the marshmallow begins to melt. If your child is helping you, don’t allow her to touch or eat the hot marshmallow until it cools.
3. Sandwich the chocolate and marshmallow with another graham cracker.
4. Spread a layer of frosting on top of the s’more. We used white frosting, but you can also choose a Valentine’s Day red or pink (or add a drop of food coloring to plain white).
5. Press a few candy conversation hearts into the frosting.
6. Shake the sprinkles or sugar crystals over the frosting and hearts.
7. Optional: Instead of adding the candy to the top, add another heart-shaped Peep.
Are you looking for more Valentine’s Day holiday treats? Try our no-bake frosted animal cookie truffles or our cherry red chocolate coconut s’mores. You can also follow my Pinterest board for ideas galore!Follow Mini Monets and Mommies's board Valentine's Day Holiday Treats on Pinterest.