Hot chocolate is my secret addiction. I don’t drink coffee, so it’s my morning wake-up beverage of choice. My son also shares in my love of the warm, frothy dessert-like drink. Last year he begged me to get a super-mega box of chocolaty mix (seriously, it was so big that it didn’t even fit into any of my kitchen cabinets).
(This post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclosure statement for more information).
So, instead of always making a liquidy cup of chocolate, I decided to try a more solid recipe. Hot chocolate cupcakes! This is a fun twist on the original, and makes a warm winter snack or holiday party treat. And, it’s super-duper easy! Get the kids in on the action and have them measure and mix. This adds a bit of math and science learning to the baking (you can sneak in the educational content to keep their minds perked up during winter vacation).
Here’s What You’ll Need:
· Cake mix – I used a vanilla batter to compliment the marshmallows and cut the chocolate overload a bit. If you have a favorite recipe, try it. If not, there’s no harm in using the boxed mix (it saves time and can help you to create something that’s actually edible if you aren’t really a baker).
· Chocolate frosting
· Mini marshmallows
Here’s What to Do:
1. Mix the cake batter.
2. Bake the batter. Never allow your child to use the oven.
3. Take the cupcakes out of the oven and let them cool.
4. Frost the cakes to make an overflowing cup of hot chocolate look.
5. Cover the frosting with mini marshmallows.
If you enjoy this recipe, find more delicious desserts (that you won't see on the blog) in my new Christmas-time eBook, Bake Sale Fail: Easy Holiday Baking and Desserts!
That’s it! I told you it was simple. Are you looking for more cupcake ideas? Follow my Pinterest board for an overload of cute and creative cakes!Follow Mini Monets and Mommies's board Cupcakes! Yum! on Pinterest.